Thursday, May 23, 2013

Special K Challenge - Day 1

I know, right?!?!

Who does this anymore. I remember as a kid seeing all of the Special K commercials and all the special food and drinks that you had to buy. I never knew anyone that actually did the challenge, but now I am that person leading the way.

The main parts of the Special K Challenge is that for the next 2 weeks, this is what you are supposed to do:

Meal No.1 - Special K cereal w/ skim milk and favorite fruit
Meal No.2 - Special K Protein Shake. Also this meal could be the Special K Protein Meal Bar or another serving of Special K cereal
Snacks - Choose 2 Special K snacks to enjoy throughout the entire day. Those could be the following: Protein snack bars, cereal bars, cracker chips, pastry crisps and crackers. Consume fruit and vegetables for additional snacks. Drink beverages as you normally do.
Meal No.3 - Eat 3rd meal as you normally do. If you check out their website, www.specialk.com, you can check out recipes.

Mommy A saw the challenge on the back of the cracker chips, and she said, "I want to do it." Me not wanting her to do it alone, I said, "I'll do it with you." So I went out to the store and bought Southwest Ranch cracker chips, 2 different kinds of their pastry crisps: Chocolate & Caramel and Cookies & Cream, and 2 of their shakes: Strawberry Banana and French Vanilla.

Cookies & Cream Pastry Crisp:
There are 2 crisps per packet for 100 calories. It was really good and filling. I wanted another packet, but I knew that I had to wait until another day.

Sweet & Salty Pop Corn Chips:
Well, I couldn't tell if it was sweet. The batch of ones I just ate might have been stale, but it was good to have 28 of them for 110 calories. That's nice. Especially for someone that needs that chewing and biting and knowing that I am eating something.

French Vanilla Shake:
My thing with any type of protein shake is that you're not eating anything. I avoided them this whole year with my weight loss because for me, I like eating. I like making it and eating it. With protein shakes, you have to hope that you stay full because if not, then the shake almost becomes pointless. Any way, I had to run and be somewhere this morning, but my plan was to put the shakes in the fridge, so they would be cold by the time I got back home. I forgot. My backup plan was just to pour it over ice. I smelled it warm, and I almost threw up. It smelled so gross. But I knew I was in it to win it, so I reluctantly poured it over the ice, let it sit for a minute, so it would be get cold, and then drank it. Pleasantly surprised! It tasted exactly like a Vanilla shake. I had it 3 hours ago, and I'm still feeling full. I kind of forced myself to have the afternoon snack because I didn't want to be so low in my calories, so I'm excited to try the Strawberry Banana tomorrow. Don't worry -- all the shakes are in the fridge now.

I doubt I will drop a jean size, but I know that this will help my body learn again the proper amount for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. This program is really just to add more fiber and protein to the diet. In this way, it really makes you listen to your body of how full you are and when you should stop eating. Like I said, I forced myself to eat the Corn Chips, but it was more out of necessity to keep my metabolism high and not be super hungry later for dinner and dessert.

I'm not sure if we are going to do the Challenge for the full 2 weeks. We are definitely going to do at least a week. We are going to go on a mini vacation next week, so I'm not sure how that would work (especially since our room does not have a fridge), but taking the snacks and making sure we are eating fruits and vegetables and drinking lots of water are all good things. In addition, while we are out and about, we will share meals and take doggy bags and the same healthy lifestyle type of stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment