Friday, May 17, 2013

Cheating is Healthy

Okay...so this might sound like a way to excuse my "bad behavior" today, but I believe when it comes to food, cheating is healthy.

If you have been very regime with your diet plan, having a cookie or an all fat item - like macaroni and cheese - is not going to break you.

I will come clean and share that I had a Starbucks Tall Mocha Cookie Crumble w/ the Chocolate Whip. I know, all those words in that title just scream WRONG! But I really wanted it. I had it in my mind that I wanted one. I really wanted to get it when Starbucks was doing their Frap Happy Hour last week, but I missed that. I just looked it up on MFP and this is the damage:


May 17, 2013


FOODSCaloriesCarbsFatProteinCholestSodiumSugarsFiber
Morning Snack
Strawberries - Raw, 4 medium (1-1/4" dia)154g0g0g0mg0mg2g1g
Costco - White Hard Boiled Egg, 1 egg700g5g7g210mg80mg0g0g
Sargento Snacks - String Cheese Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese Sticks, 1 stick801g6g8g15mg210mg0g0g
Lunch
In General Salmon Sushi - 1 oz. Farmed Fish on A Bed of White Rice, 1 piece568g2g3g0mg0mg0g0g
Sushi - 1 Stick Immitation Crab, 1 Stick152g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Sushi - California Roll, 8 piece1508g2g2g1mg100mg2g0g
Sushi - Nigiri - Tuna - Plain, 1 piece374g1g1g0mg1mg0g0g
Moshi Sushi - Nigiri Salmon, 1 piece649g1g5g8mg29mg1g0g
Generic - Sushi - Nigiri Shrimp, 1 piece - 1.25 oz6811g1g8g0mg30mg0g1g
Afternoon Snack
Starbucks - Tall Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino Whole Milk With Whip, 1 Tall Size 12oz.34052g14g5g40mg180mg48g1g
TOTAL:89599g32g39g274mg630mg53g3g

And with a 1200 calorie a day allowance, yeah, it looks like I have ruined my whole day.

Not necessarily...

Let us look at the positives. And when I talk about the positives, it is thinking and remembering back to what I would have ordered before pre-healthy living.

  • I visit Starbucks about once a season, so I do not go to Starbucks every day. (No offense if you do.)
  • My normal order at Starbucks is the Grande Mocha Light Frap (130 calories)
  • I got a Tall - not a Grande. Back in the day, if I thought I was really hungry and deserved a good treat, I would have easily polished off a Venti and had an additional afternoon snack. 
  • I did not finish my drink, but I left the full amount of calories on MFP. 
Looking at my day so far, this choice might not have been soooo bad if I hadn't had such a big lunch. (I heart sushi.) It's looking at something that was so bad and turning it into something good, so I don't become my worst critic of how I should not bought that item, and that I am going to gain weight, and I am a failure, and blah blah blah. One full calorie frap is not going to ruin all my successes up to this point. 

One note that I do want to make that - AND I AM NOT AN EXPERT - but from experience, I would not cheat in the first month of starting a healthy lifestyle. Within that month, your body is adjusting to the healthier food and eating schedule and introducing the old food only make the adjustment to a healthier lifestyle even harder. It might even stop you from continuing. 

Oh...and by the way, the drink was okay. I was expecting it to be thicker, almost more like a milkshake with cookie crumble, and it just left me kind of eh. 


1 comment:

  1. I agree that I think past a certain point of any "diet" it's important to allow yourself some treats. Good point about waiting a month, I agree that I think it's important to let your body (and your mind) adjust to a healthier lifestyle. That's why it's great once you get to that comfortable stage where it is part of your lifestyle, not just a diet.

    ReplyDelete