Friday, May 17, 2013

Putting in the Time

Using MyFitnessPal (MFP), I have lost 71 pounds.

Yes. I'm allllllmost there. My goal is to reach 150 and I've been hovering between 151 and 155. Bad eating habits, no gym/running time, and plenty of other excuses have not gotten me through this last leg. It would be "hitting the wall" in marathon terms, but in actuality, it isn't. Yes, I have had MAJOR life changes in the last 2 months, but it has been 2 months. I need to buckle down and just finish it. I can see the end, I just need to get my body moving in that direction.

Last year, I started using MFP. I had hit a rock bottom of sorts. My sister was getting married, and I was a bridesmaid, and I had ordered my dress in February, and 5 weeks later, it did not even zip up.

Disaster.

I think I'll always remember standing in that dressing room at David's Bridal just looking at my back as my wife desperately tried to zip it up, to make everything okay, and it would not budge. It was only going up half way. Totally devastated. What was I going to do? My wife told me, "We are going to start something, and we are going to do it together." I agreed, and then we went to Lucille's afterwards.

But she found MFP, and I can say that I have logged over 400 days in a row. I have not missed 1 day since I started. I can say that I have accomplished a lot in this last year:

  • I lost over 70 lbs
  • I successfully completed 3 half marathons and completed the Beach Series Challenge
  • I have went down from a 18/20 to a 6/8. 
And something that I gained that cannot be quantified is the amount of stuff that I am finding out now on what I missed when I was younger. Simple things like swinging on the monkey bars. Climbing up a ladder. Playing on the seesaw and not having that worry in the back of my head that I was going to break it. When I was growing up, teachers would comment that I was a shy kid. Reflecting on it now, I think I was a scared kid that was afraid of being the butt of the joke. I was protecting and hiding myself. 

No more hiding. It's almost summertime! Time to show it off! 

But really, this is just another way of discovering me. How I want to be perceived in the world. I have a chance to make a new name for myself. That feels good....

1 comment:

  1. So impressed! You are a rock star, and you will get to your goal. Those last few pounds are the worst, for sure. To have already completed 3 half-marathons is so awesome- you are gonna kill this marathon!

    ReplyDelete